Being diagnosed with any type of cancer is not good for anyone. If you are diagnosed with cancer, undoubtedly you will be sent to the medical specialist who is known as an oncologist. The specialists who can deal with cancers are oncologists.
There are few things you need to consider while choosing an oncologist:
• Search for an oncologist who is board certified. This is a sign that you are going to be treated by a person who is perfect in their competency and understanding in the field. The tests shown that you are dealing with cancer, which is dangerous, so search for only best instead of any other. There are different types of board certifications available such as medical oncologists are board certified in the internal medicine and have their sub specialization in medical oncology and radiation oncologists are board certified in the radiation oncology.
• It is the best way to choose your doctor based on his experience. The best sign is he's practicing oncology for fulltime.
• Getting your complete care at a good hospital is another measure of capability of the oncologist. Look for the hospital designation as a comprehensive cancer care center by the NCI. Because these centers have medical and radiation oncologists, and surgeons under one roof, this will reduce your travel and coordinate your care. They also do research about cancer, which allows them to perform updated treatment for you.
• One way to find the best doctor is to ask for the referral from your physician who provides you primary care. You can also consult your family members, friends, or coworkers.
• NIC (national Cancer center) is a designated cancer center that can provide you the information about oncologists who practice at the center.
• The ABMS can maintain a list of doctors who have met some training and educational requirements and have done their specialty courses. You must have to register to use this self-serve resource that allows you to conduct searches by their name or else area of the certification and the state name. In most of the libraries, the directory also available.
• The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) can provide a list of physicians and their specialization in online. This society maintain member database in that you can find 30,000 oncologists worldwide with their names and also affiliations. It can be searched by the doctor's institution, name, oncology specialty, location, and board certification type.
• Local medicinal societies may also maintain the list of doctors according to their specialization.
• Medical and public libraries may maintain the print directories of cancer specialists name and their area of working.
• Local yellow books or yellow pages may have physicians list and also their specialization.